About Anna Sharman
I am a freelance editor, proofreader, scientific publishing consultant and trainer.
I have learned a lot about how journals work from my time in the lab, from working as an in house editor and from editing and proofreading as a freelancer for a wide range of journals. Now I am using that knowledge to help scientists get their research papers published.
My experience and qualifications:
- over 15 years experience of editing biological journal articles, as a member of journal staff and as a freelance editor
- Postdoctoral research at the University of Heidelberg, Germany, in developmental biology
- A PhD from the University of Reading, UK, in vertebrate genome evolution and development
- Publications that have been cited hundreds of times (see Google Scholar profile)
- Contacts in many journal editorial offices (see LinkedIn profile)
- Advanced Membership of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (see SfEP Directory entry)
- Experience in giving workshops for postgraduates and postdocs about getting published.
My areas of expertise include biology and medicine.
In this blog I focus on journals in biology and medicine, including:
- journal policies
- peer review systems
- editing and production processes
- speed of acceptance and publication
- the economics of journal publishing
- political aspects
My aim is to help researchers to make the best of the publishing options available to them. Journal editors and managers and freelance editors working on journals may find some nuggets of interest here too.